Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Photographer Series #9: lynnshotkatemoss



And now we return to our regularly scheduled www.ishotkatemoss.com programming ...

Fine-art photographer Lynn Saville specializes in photographing at twilight and dawn, or as she describes it, "the boundary times between night and day". Her photographs are published in two monographs: Acquainted With the Night (Rizzoli, 1997) and Night/Shift (Random House/Monacelli, 2009). She is represented by Yancey Richardson Gallery in New York and is included in many major permanent collections.
Street Corner - Brooklyn

Lynn roams, what she terms, “limbo regions”, places she believes to be one of our last frontiers. Spaces that seem unloved and overlooked, cracks in the urban façade. In Lynn’s own words: “When I discover a site that attracts me, I return to it at dusk. In this liminal period, natural light gives way to streetlight, moonlight, and window light, as well as advertisement and surveillance lighting. 

Several years ago Lynn was lured back to the central areas of NYC, where economic turmoil produced its own gaps in the façade - vacant stores whose glowing windows in which she saw a resemblance to a Rothko painting. Her latest series, Vacancy: The Disquieting Beauty of Emptiness, began as a response to the effects of The Great Recession, and the pictures capture shuttered stores and abandoned spaces, seen at transitional hours.

So how would Lynn interpret kate, we wondered? Was kate a “disquieting beauty” too?
Lynn Saville's The Terrace Bridge + Kate, 2014


iskm: What did you do to your chosen kate moss image and why?
Lynn Saville (LS): I wanted to create a photograph in which her image engages in a quiet and timeless way. I took a tiny portion of a picture I had taken of Kate Moss glowing at twilight and transferred it electronically to my portable projector. I then brought the projector with me as I visited some of my special locations. 
Lynn's source image of a billboard in NOLITA


iskm: How/why did you select the source image that you did?

LS: I was fascinated with a billboard image of Kate near a gas station in NOLITA. I liked the way she looked out over Houston Street and the fact that she was reclining gave her direct and open gaze a sense of curiosity and intimacy. I also liked that it was a black and white image, as I primarily work in color. Given how I was planning on creating my submission, this source image would then contrast with the place I decided to take the final photograph.


iskm: Why did you feel the need to project the image rather than simply work with an established picture of kate?
LS: I feel that in a sense Kate cultural/fashion presence lingers in my imagination even when I'm in spaces I photograph.  I felt it would be interesting to experiment with projecting a part of her image in a place one wouldn't ordinarily actually see it.

iskm: How and why did you choose the location that you did? Is it a church or a synagogue?
LS: The place I chose was under the Terrace Bridge in Central Park. The arcade reminds me of the Alhambra in Spain ... Olmsted and Vaux combined Moorish, Romanesque and Classical influences ... the place is almost religious in its meditative spirit. I wanted to show the timeless quality of Kate's gaze in an unlikely urban setting and to show that in today's culture, advertising media seems to be everywhere.


iskm: How do you feel your approach to photography/art making affected your submission to ishotkatemoss? 
LS: I have been experimenting with including a figure or silhouette in my vacant urban landscape photographs. In the past, a figure would unexpectedly intrude into my long exposure photograph when a person would walk through the frame. I discovered that these ghostly intrusions often added a poignant dimension to the image. Recently I began projecting a figure or face into the space I photograph so as to be able to have more control and because I feel that projections communicate a special importance from a culturally historic perspective (such as slide shows and drive-in movies). I consider the projection as my own enlarged screen or smaller billboard when used in a public place.

iskm: That is really interesting. Do you see the projected image playing a new cultural role?
LS: We carry around our smartphones and tablets so we are viewing our small screens everywhere these days. We are therefore viewing personal, as well as commercial, messages in public spaces. I'm using the projected image to add a new size and dimension to the ‘portability’ of the image as I move the image into a new place. It's almost a brief ‘tagging’ of a public space with my idea. Now, after using a picture of Kate in this way, I realize that I am also referencing the surprise of an unexpected view of a commercial image. These images are everywhere, intruding on our landscape and popping up on our computers so I'm gaining a sense of power by putting it out there, where I want to see it, at least for a brief time.

iskm: Which photographer/s would you most want to most see involved in ishotkatemoss?
LS: Jeff Wall, Thomas Struth and Gursky - all are iconic artists working in photography at this moment in time. I feel that their "take" on culture and landscape photography would be interesting to view in the context of ishotkatemoss.

iskm: Thanks so much Lynn. We are so incredibly thankful for your involvement.
LS: My pleasure. The iskm concept is fascinating from a variety of perspectives. I liked the challenge of working with an icon like Kate Moss when I usually think about icons like the Flatiron Building. The urban landscape has many images of Kate Moss so it is natural to think of her image in cityscape photographs!

More information about Lynn’s work can be found at www.lynnsaville.com and keep an eye out for the monograph of her latest project, Vacancy, which will be published by the distinguished Italian press Damiani, in the fall of 2015.

And just like Lynn walking through NYC at dusk or dawn ... Observe. Slow Down. Shoot. Submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment