Sunday, September 13, 2015

Photographer Series #22: SEELshotkatemoss


Born in the late 70s in Île-de-France, Sylvain Bousseton, aka ‘SINKE’, aka ‘SEEL’, has been “exercising pictorial activity” since 1996. His desire to display his artistic talents on open spaces began at an early age. Specifically, his taste for drawing led him to re-paint his parent’s living room: “It is a very good memory, but maybe not for everyone in my family!”
 
SEEL's BOMBUS 002
He discovered graphic art while skateboarding and through graffiti, where he drew its nickname "think" and then "five" (‘cinq’ in French) and finally "Sinke". While at university, Sylvain studied art and visual communication before working with a design firm and assisting several brands of street wear. 

Paralleling his professional activity, Sylvian organized and participated in several exhibitions, based around the intersection of graffiti, graphic design and painting.

Sylvain took the pseudonym ‘SEEL’ in 2010, abandoned exhibitions to focus on creating a free form of display, in order to be “out of sight of others”, specifically so as to reconnect with his first love: drawing. 

SEEL explains: “My inspirations are diverse: Whether it be a leaf, JJ Audubon, Aslan (the French pin-up artist), tattoo art, typography of the 70s and 80s … or things that return me to my childhood.
iskm: How would you describe your work?
SEEL: The starting point is still typography, drawing and the approach of the letter which remain the central elements at the base of my creations. I am drawn to the female form and often mix an image with types and collages taken from subway advertising because I love the spontaneity and the recycling of the visual pollution of our society.

iskm: Your imagery and symbolism often use images of destruction and death (skulls, planes, guns) but not in an overtly harsh way. Why use these images in your work?
SEEL: For me, planes, skulls, guns are representations of vanity and it's why there are always important in my work. I can't stop focusing on things like death because “death is life”.

iskm: Why Kate Moss?
SEEL: At first, I would say that it is by chance, a coincidence - I really liked the pose in the original picture, which I have taken for my drawing. But the fact that it is a world famous model upset me because I was always working with the idea of anonymous people. Nevertheless, she represents the best and the worst at the same time, in a similar vain to the idea of, and relationship between, death and life … the iconic beauty and futility of the fashion business. So I adopted kate as my model. Naturally.


Kate by Alas & Piggott
iskm: How do you select your source kate image/s and what is your process for appropriation?
SEEL: I usually create a "hybrid" girl, using different parts from different bodies, in order to make a desired pose. But for the Kate Moss series I worked directly from an image of her. Then I used only a rotring to draw with dots, before combining my drawing with graphic parts taken from various collages. 

iskm: And you also screen print your kate onto background images?
SEEL: Yes, I create unique screen print series on collage backgrounds taken from old vintage playboy magazines, subway advertising or spray paint on paper and then I hand screen print the Kate Moss image in Black before doing any touching up if needed. I take background images that inspire me, whatever they are or wherever they come from - but I love the old vintage adult magazine, I don't know why but perhaps it reminds me of my childhood or bygone days!
iskm: Where do you find your source images?
SEEL: I have been collecting pictures since I was kid, and of course with the web the access to images is now Huge. However, I am more and more interested in vintage magazines, such as playboy, in order to select the models I want to draw ...

iskm: How do you find the magazines and why choose the vintage adult pictures?
SEEL: I found a collection of playboy and French magazines a few year ago... And some are from my father's collection. I used to look at them in secret when I was kid … so I love those. I don't know why, perhaps they give me more emotions, memories or puts me in a nostalgic mood.
A photo of SEEL's street work posted by a member of the public on instagram
iskm: We found your work on social media posted by others. Is the internet and social media now the latest form of public display and, as such, taken the role of street image graffiti?
SEEL: I used to be more active on the streets when I worked with graffiti, more than 10 years ago. For a few years I did not even display what I did. I was not too motivated to show what I do cause I only wanted to do it for me because I just wanted to draw.
I am not so active in the streets but I am slowly working back into it … I don't really like the social networks and displaying work that way. I am a little bit of a loner so I don't know how people interact with what I do. However, one year ago I wanted to be back on the street because it is the place of the ART...

iskm: Which photographers/artists would you most want to most see involved in ishotkatemoss?
SEEL: Aslan is one of my favorite artists. For me he is a master for the vintage pin up. He used to draw a playmate every month in a French adult magazine call LUI during the eighties. Unfortunately, he recently died so it is too late …

We here at ishotkatemoss find SEEL’s art powerful and compelling. If you are fortunate enough to be in Paris, keep an eye out for his images on the street. Alternatively, you can experience more of his creations at www.seelecta.fr

SEEL: Thanks for your support. Keep it up!

Just like SEEL dear readers ...
Observe. Slow Down. Shot. Submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment